Patty Flowerday School of Dance
Pictures & Recital
All accounts need to be paid in full in order for your dancer to participate in our recitals. We closeout our year end books this month so please pay your balances promptly. We have been very generous by not applying late fees.
We can not stress it enough! FIRST AND LAST name should be labeled on EVERYTHING you send to pictures and recital with your dancer. From costumes, to shoes, to makeup pieces. This should be the first thing you do when you get your costumes home. After making sure they are the right fit. If your dancer is old enough to write their name they can help! If your dancer is younger they should still be a part of it even if they hand it to you so you can label. Start training them early to be responsible so when they are old enough to do it alone they can.
The recital isn’t a one-day activity. Gather all costumes, accessories, tights, shoes and make-up several days in advance so you will know if something is missing or isn’t right. The school cannot replace a headpiece that is missing a day before the show. Keep all pieces together in one place. It is a good idea to make a check list of all costumes, shoes, tights, and accessories and refer to it before leaving for the auditorium. Most of your costume bags have a list in the pocket on the front. If you have questions please ask!
What to pack for recital:
- Tote/Laundry Basket: Great for 1-3 Costumes, Clearly Labeled with name! Tape a Paper with which dance is First and list costume pieces and color of costume (For example: Ballet! Dance 1 Pink Dress with Pink flower headpiece, Dance 2 Tap: Blue top, Black shorts, Black gloves, Blue hair piece….),
- Accessories, Tights, Shoes or small pieces in a 5-gallon Ziplock Bag. Label the zip lock with which costume it is for! You can get 5 gallon Ziplocks and put the shoes in the same Ziplock bag! Cut small hole and slip over the hanger for which dance the items are for.
Caboodle/Makeup and Hair Kit
For their Hair, Dancers will need:
- Plenty of bobby pins that match their hair color (you can never have too many!). Gotta Be Glued Hair Spray is best!
- Brush/comb, hair nets, hair Pins that match their hair color
- Hair Ties that match their hair color
- (there are bun instruction sheets at the desk)
Make Up Kit
- Eye Shadow – Browns;
- Eye liner – Black;
- Mascara- Black;
- Lipstick – Berry Kiss/ Muave (NOT RED!);
- (There are make up how to papers at the desk)
Other tips and things to pack:
- Send your dancer in a zip up warm up jacket or button down shirt over their costume. This helps keep the costume clean and also when they are in the audience their costume needs to be covered.
- SAFETY PINS! They are the easiest fix when the unexpected happens!
- NO JEWELRY!!! All the dancers in the group should look identical! No jewelry should be worn on stage except diamond stud earrings!
- We are also not responsible for lost items! If it means a lot to you or your dancer, please do not send it back stage.
- All costumes that came to you in a garment bag should travel in that bag! This is an easy way to keep things in one place.
- For both pictures and the performance, please bring extra bobby pins, hair spray, band-aids, Shout wipes, safety pins, a comb or brush, make-up for touch ups, and Kleenex.
- It’s easier to come to pictures with hair and make up already done!
- Make a list of the # your child’s dances are in the program. Make sure they know what numbers they are performing! They need to be backstage 5 numbers before they go on!
All remaining balances for costumes and tuition must be paid in full before June 5th. Your dancer WILL NOT be able to participate if you have a balance on your account.
The doors to the auditorium will open 15-30 minutes before show time. Please be on time and obtain seating as the curtain will open exactly at the scheduled time. All seats are reserved! Please check your tickets carefully to see the row and seat you have.
Purchase your tickets in advance they will be $15 at the door.
VIDEOTAPING OF THE SHOW, AND FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY ARE NOT ALLOWED!
Security will be asking all video cameras to be put in the car. If a camera is spotted in the audience, the show will be stopped and you will be asked to leave. It is VERY dangerous to performers to see flashes of cameras or lights in the audience. It is a distraction and will not be tolerated. A professional videographer will be taping the show. You can pre-order DVD’s at a discounted price. The prices go up on the day of the show! Dance is meant to be watched LIVE not through your camera phone! The dancers are excited for YOU to see them!
As a courtesy to our dancers, PLEASE stay seated during each dance. Security will be standing at each door only allowing it to open between numbers. It is not only a distraction to open the doors in the middle of a dance, it is also rude. No food or beverages of any kind are allowed in the auditorium.
ALL Dancers MUST stay for the ENTIRE Show! Each show is a performance. It is extremely rude not to stay and watch the entire show. Your dancers are having a blast in the back and deserve to take their final bow at the end of the show.
PLEASE drop your dancer off 30 minutes before the show if they are in the first 6 numbers. Dancers 6 & under will sit with you in the audience with their costume covered. We need them backstage 5 numbers before they are on.
Please use the doors at the back of the auditorium. NOT up front by the stage.
We will not wait to start a dance if a dancer is missing.
You can bring them back to their seat when they are done and bring them back 5 numbers before the end.
Thank You for helping us have a HASSLE FREE Recital!
No eating, drinking, or smoking is allowed in the auditorium.
Dancers ages 7 & up will remain in the dressing room for the entire recital as they are in more than 1 number. There will be teachers backstage to assist your child with any needs they may have.
Family members and friends are NOT to be backstage during rehearsal or recital. The same applies during intermission and after shows. There is a lot of activity in a limited amount of space. Please remind your family and guests to be respectful of these areas. Those who wish to greet a performer after the show may do so in the hallway area. Dancers will be walked to the dressing room area where they may be picked up. Please everyone clean up after your dancers. In the past our dressing room areas have been a disaster. Thank you in advance.
The Rehearsal allows the students to become familiar with the size of the stage and to feel comfortable with their performance.
It is MANDATORY to be at your rehearsal. You will be provided with the start time of your rehearsal.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time so we can keep the rehearsal on time. You may leave after your child is released from rehearsal. Usually 45 minutes at a time unless they are in more than 1 number. Please note that we will let the dancers go when they are done, even if it runs over the time originally scheduled. We try our best to run on time however we are dealing with unpredictable children!
This is a closed rehearsal. Only students and teachers are permitted in the fellowship hall.
Girls hair must be worn in a bun unless otherwise specified by the instructor. It is important that hair does not become a distraction to the audience or the performer. Therefore, it is required that it is pulled back off the dancer’s face. Please use black or brown hair binders when pulling hair back. A hair net can be purchased at any drug store or grocery store and works miracles for bun making! DO NOT send dancers with anything extra in their hair! The headpiece will be placed in the same place for all students in the class. There are no exceptions.
We spend many hours determining the correct costumes for each class. This has taken months of preparation. Please be respectful of the teachers time and vision for their dance.
Your child’s name should be placed in all costumes, shoes, tights, and accessories. First AND Last name please! We may have 10 students with the same first name.
DO NOT iron any costume.
Bringing the costume into the bathroom (not in the shower) while you shower will steam out the wrinkles.
DO NOT launder the costume in your washer and dryer, including steam models. Dry Clean ONLY after the recital.
Female students DO NOT wear underwear with costumes, tights ONLY! Tights are Underwear!
Boys please wear underwear!
Student Pick Up
Students will be walked back to the dressing room after the show. Parents may pick up their dancers there. Guests can greet dancers in the hall.
Please no fathers in the girls dressing rooms!
We are so excited to showcase our year’s work! Remember what we do on stage is only a little part of what we do all year! Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
We still have room in our summer camps and classes.
You can register for summer & fall the week of June 11th! You will receive an email summer schedule!